28 September 2011

Aethetics, Labour, Spirituality, Health and History

Today we discussed aesthetics, spirituality, and health in relation to our chosen activity. Ok let us see what I can talk about concerning washing-up!

Aesthetics

I guess while doing the dishes there is a certain beauty to the colours the bubbles from the dish liquid can make.  All of us at sometime have enjoyed blowing bubbles to see how big we could get them or how long they would last.  Other things that please the senses are the togetherness of the task, particularly if you are doing the task with your nearest and dearest.

Labour
If you work backwards from washing-up you are connected to food, for example the production of it and the labour involved in harvesting and cooking.  Once consumed, the next step is of clearing the scraps from the meal.  Some people may put them in the rubbish; others may put it back into the garden for compost to start the whole process over again. “Labor can be an activity that is done in order to be undone” (Green, 1968 ,np).  Whatever the process, we inevitably end up washing-up.
Spirituality
When there are large gatherings at our house, for example Christmas day, everyone is happy to help wash up.  Generally, there are far too many people in the kitchen standing around the sink, but it does not matter, as it is a wonderful time to share.  Going beyond the mundane task of washing-up can be a part of celebration, community, friends together on an occasion enjoying each other’s company.
Health
The consideration of health is very important in this activity.  Washing up is one of those jobs that have to be done.  If you do not get around to doing, it straight away can lead to an attack of the guilty conscience; it may play on your mind if you happen to be a person who likes life to be orderly. Anything related to the handling of food is important. The alternatives of ill health from unsanitary practices around food handling and washing up should be taken seriously.
My History with Washing up
I can remember getting a tea set when I was little so of course I would mimic my mother and have a tea party with her or my dolls.  I would then insist on doing the washing up.  Mum would set me up with a bowl of soapy water and a dishtowel and I would set about my task.  I enjoyed swishing my hands in the soapy water, looking at the colours and trying to blow bubbles through my fingers.  I doubt whether the tea set was washed but I was having fun.  Then while still living at home with my parents we invariably had to do the washing up after a meal.  I even had a job as a dishwasher when I lived Wanaka.  I can hear you asking why! Back in the late 70’s there was not many jobs in Wanaka so I took a job at the hotel as a matter of survival. I vowed that when I owned my own home I would buy a dishwasher – and I did.  So now, we have done the full circle because while we are living here in our holiday home we will be washing the dishes by hand.

Reference
Green, T. F. (1968) Work, leisure and The American school s. New York: Random House.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Janine,
    When reading your blog it made me think about all the times I've done the dishes, and how at the time I used to hate it, but really, when you look back on it, there were plenty of fun times involved. I never really thought about all of the ins and outs of washing up like this before. It could be good to just have a few more stories throughout the blog so we could see more of your washing up fun :)

    ReplyDelete