12 October 2011

A Tad more on everything!


We went up to our house in Clyde for a few days, so to say the least, it was a new/old experience because that is where our dishwasher lives –the automatic version, not the manual version.  When the time came to do the dishes, our whole routine was put out.  Our individual jobs that had been tried and true were in jeopardy just because of this piece of equipment.  What has happened to me? In my previous blogs I bemoaned the whole washing up thing, now I’m faced with an appliance that will not only wash properly (with no derogatory comments on the quality of the usual dishwasher) but dry properly too.  This made me think how quickly everything I’ve written about can change.  My need to communicate with my husband has changed.  There is no longer a need for both of us to do the dishes while at this house; to load the dishwasher only takes one person – what was I going to do?  Does this piece of equipment completely change the whole affordance thing?  Has this piece of equipment made us redundant?  Will we be forever consigned to never communicating over this most basic of tasks?  Well to answer that I would have to say yes – but only for the 4 days we were at the house.  We are back now in our little house in Dunedin, with no automatic dishwasher, just my trusty manual version and I have to say I am pleased to be back, and look forward to many conversations with my husband about how each of our days went.

Reference List:

Creek, J & Lawson-Porter. (Eds). (2007) Contempory issues in occupational therapy. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
Crepeau, E.B. (1991). Achieving intersubjective understanding: Examples from an occuaptional therapy treatment session. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 44, 311-317.
Green, T. F. (1968) Work, leisure and The American schools. New York: Random House.
Klein, N. (2000).No logo: Taking aim at brand bullies. Canada: Knopf.
Meredith, G.L. (1935).Adventuring in Maoriland in the Seventies. Sydney: Angus & Robertson.

Comments on other blogs
Judith Evans
Dave Armstrong
Matt Janssen
Hannah Sinclair

1 comment:

  1. Hi Janine,
    Isn't it crazy how technology can effect our lives!
    I like how you are able to recognize how your feelings toward doing the dishes have changed since the beginning of this blogging journey!
    A really interesting post to read!

    ReplyDelete